Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturdays in the library and Reader's Advisory...

Saturdays is always a strange day to work. 21 years in the business, and I still find something... special to it. Not in a negative sense, I actually enjoy it, as I don't have my daughters on the week-ends I work so I don't mind toiling a bit on that day. The patrons are also in a different, week-endy mood. Chattier. Here for fun and leisure. More reader Advisory questions at the information desk. Miam, RA. Fun!

There is no word to describe how easier and more efficient the job of doing RA at the information desk is since the advent of the databases. I'm a bit of a lazy ploucky klutz in many ways and things, but the lazy part of me really answers well to database. Anyone remembers the day we had to find magazine articles with periodical indexes published every month? Instead of having a patron waiting 2 weeks for a photocopy, now we get the information in 28 seconds flat from the moment we hit the keyboard if the website in not down...

Novelist is the database I use most for reader's advisory. Many patrons who use it learn to really appreciate it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment