Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A little more details on what I think of Facebook

Facebook is one of those things I think they have invented the word "clutter" for. It's a very silly thing, in many ways, and basically a vehicule for advertizing, and I suspect suspicious advertizing at that. Navigating facebook is like walking in a minefield. Whenever you go for applications you sometimes must import files and links that reek of ... unsafe? Also, although it's a way to stay on the grapevine for family and friends, it's also a way to see how bad they spell.

Anyway. I'm always very glad to see banners where I learn that my mailbox is full and I have 7 friends in Montreal and that 2 of them have a secret crush on me. All I have to do is click on the banner, and enter some personal info. It's not a biggy if the banner won't disappear unless I fill all the fields or reboot my computer, right?

This being said, it has been useful on some occasions. I can see many ways where it could assist in job searching, for example. For advertizing services, it can be useful, although it seems to me it can have unpredictable and unforseen results. There is a little bit of facebook that reminds me of someone standing on a soapbox in a place he doesn't know and saying whatever he wants to say to some friends and a lot of strangers who, in the end, won't care much (if you are lucky). You can also play silly little games to waste your time. Enough said, it's time to go pet Nibloo in my "Winnie the Pooh" pets application on Facebook, so I can have some money to feed, train and groom him...

No comments:

Post a Comment