Monday, February 2, 2009

Today

Today is the name of a nice song by Smashing Pumpkins. Well, not that nice, it's a bit dark in the lyrics, but it is very nice as far as the music goes. My thought of today goes to Susan Taylor Davidson, who is ever nice and who is no fraud in being nice. I think I'll miss being taxi, I get to abuse nice people like her and Nicholas and Melissa with my music and my bad humor. It beats 20 minutes alone in the car going to / coming back from work.

My second thought of Today goes to our beloved federal politics. Mr. Ignatieff seems to be a born politician. Now truly hated (until the wind changes) by NDP and Le Bloc, he gives new life to the Conservatives, who I think have been a bit chastised by end of last year's near death experience. Mr Ignatieff gets the blame for finishing the coalition--and we know he couldn't worry less about this, and he gets the credit for armlocking the conservatives into doing some of his bidding. Win-Win for Ignatieff. The Bloc can go back to wallow into relative irrelevance for a little time. NDP got its wing clipped nasty. Ignatieff gets some credit for sparing us another (!) election. For a year or so? We'll see...

From my Quebecker point of view, the question is: Can Ignatieff regain some ground for the very tarnished Liberal brand in Quebec, and can he start climbing on top of the Bloc? The bloc will be hard to move, considering the federalist vote in Quebec remains splitted in 3. Vote splintering is very annoying in a first-past-the-post federal democracy like ours...

No comments:

Post a Comment